Please click on any of the following topics to take you where your interest lies.
EVENTSTOWN WATCH EVENTS for 2013
18th January 2013 - A Night in the Cells - 18.00 - in the Town Hall Court Rooms. Tickets for sentencing £10 each including refreshment: 9 Saints or Sinners on remand about to be sentenced and locked up for the night in aid of the Mayors Charities. Attend the trial on the evening of 18th January, heckle the guilty and witness the sentencing!
Thursday 7th February 2013 VIP Grand Opening on the Stockwell. 7pm. Town Watch to stand guard and test the ale.
Saturday 23rd March 2013 - Elizabethan Evening in aid of Headway Essex At Colchester Castle - Watch to be present at the start of the event to form an impressive "welcome committee" together with costs/expenses etc. The other thing that I am thinking about is that the Watch will provide an escort to the Queen as she processes to the stage to start the proceedings. People will be arriving from 7.00pm and the Queen will process at 8pm.
Friday 10th May Fundraising Dinner - TBC
1st & 2nd June 2013 - The Colchester Medieval Festival & Oyster Fayre Market (Setting up of the Friday 31st May) The Watch organise and run this national contest between the best English longbow archers in the land, in conjunction with the Colchester Medieval Oyster Fayre.
15th June 2013 - Royal Gun Salute (The Queen's Official Birthday) More information to follow.
Sunday 23rd June - Swearing of the Watchman's Oath, followed by walking the Walls of Colchester. Time to be confirmed
29th June 2013 - Armed Forces Day More information to fellow
13th & 14th July 2013 - Tewkesbury Medieval Festival Tewkesbury Medieval Festival
Wednesday 28th August to Sunday 1st September 2013 Pagan Camp TBC.
Saturday 21st September 2013 Wivenhoe Church Ale (TTBC) more information to follow.
10th November 2013 Remembrance Day - As guests of the Royal British Legion, we are honoured to lay a wreath in memory of those men, women and children who died for us and to remember our absent friends.
Further details may be sought from Master Craig Sutton (Strongarm)
Sergeant at Arms, Event Co-ordinator.
The Colchester Town Watch
TEL - 07809 157349
TOWN WATCH EVENTS for 2012
Sunday 26th February 2012 Charity Double Head-Shave @ the Odd One Out Pub. Time 3:30pm More info to follow
Thursday 1st March Little Crown Pub Birthday
Saturday 3rd March - The Mayors' Ball will be held at William Loveless Hall, Wivenhoe, from 1900 on Saturday 3rd March.
Friday 9th March Madam Mayor Chain Gang Event The Town watch to stand guard outside the Oak Tree Centre to greet guests.
Saturday 17th March - Help For Heroes Cake Sale. at 10.45am the Mayor will be met at the Town Hall steps by the Town Watch and Pipe Band and they will escort the Mayor to Lion Walk for 11am. Help for Heroes' annual Colossal Cake Sale take place in a variety of towns across the UK including Winchester, Colchester and Salisbury and there is still more to come!
Wednesday 23rd May - Mayor Making - the Watch will welcome our new Mayor Councillor
Saturday 2th June and Sunday 3th June - Archer of the Fayre. The Watch organise and run this national contest between the best English longbow archers in the land, in conjunction with the Colchester Medieval Oyster Fayre.We were saddened to learn that one of our regular archers, Mrs Veronica Baily, died after a short illness on Tuesday 27th November 2012. We offer our condolences to her husband, Mick Baily, several times our 'Archer of the Fayre', and to their family.
Monday 4th June - Lighting the Beacon 10.30pm At the back of the Castle in Colchester Castle Park With Mayor of Colchester and Will Jenkins.
Saturday 16th June - The Royal Gun Salute (The Queen's Official Birthday) - Town Watch to deploy un Honour Guard from 11.30am as guests arrive and the 11.50 to two deploy a Guard next to the Dais.
Saturday 23rd June - COLCHESTER FOOD AND DRINK FESTIVAL 2012 - The Town Watch to meet the Mayor at the main gates to the lower castle park for 10.30pm time to open the event and then walking the mayor around the event.
Sunday 24th June - Swearing of the Watchman's Oath, followed by Walking the Walls of Colchester - Starting 12pm at Balkerne Gate, turning north down Balkerne Hill, and in a clockwise direction, stopping at the east wall for refreshments. Finishing back at the Balkerne Gate. All welcome, in medieval costume or not.
Saturday 30th June - Colchester Carnival - More information to Follow
Sunday 1st July - New Town Open Gardens. at the Odd One Out
13,14, & 15th July - Battle of Tewkesbury Weekend. This event remembers the Battle of Tewkesbury in Gloucestershire, during the Wars of the Roses, on 4th May 1471. The battle was fought betwwen the Yorkists of King Edward 4th and the Lancastrians of Prince Edward and his mother, Margaret of Anjou. The Yorkists prevailed. We are honoured to accept the invitation of the Mayor of Tewkesbury to escort him or her, along with our own mayor, to open the Fayre. This is Europe's biggest medieval fayre.
Fri 17th Aug - St Stanislas Memorial Dinner at the George Hotel. More information to follow
Thursday the 13th September - Treasure hunt around town with the Mayor of Colchester - More info to follow (Times 6pm till 10pm)
Friday 30th October - Colchester Oyster Feast. The Watch will be in attendance to welcome the dignitaries and guests. We dress the stairs, and stand guard at the Colchester Town Hall.
Monday 5th November - Bonfire Night. We arrest Guy Fawkes and make sure that he receives his just punishment in the flames of the fire.
Saturday 24th November - The Town Watch Annual Feast.
TOWN WATCH EVENTS for 2011Friday 10th March Madam Mayor Chain Gang Event The Town Watch to stand guard outside the Town Hall steps to greet guests.
Saturday 2nd April 2011 - Help For Heroes Cake Sale. Escorting the mayor and her Escort.
Help for Heroes' annual Colossal Cake Sale take place in a variety of towns across the UK including Winchester, Colchester and Salisbury and there is still more to come!
Saturday 23rd April - St George's Day. The Watch to assembled and stand gaurd out side St Peters Church at 10am.
Wednesday 18th May - Mayor Making - the Watch will welcome our new Councillor Helen Chuah and her Escort Councillor Mike Hogg.
Saturday 4th June and Sunday 5th June - Archer of the Fayre. The Watch organise and run this national contest between the best English longbow archers in the land, in conjunction with the Colchester Medieval Oyster Fayre.
Tuesday 7th June - Freedom of The Borough Parade - The Watch to stand guard outside the Town Hall
Saturday 11th June - The Royal Gun Salute (The Queen's Official Birthday)
Saturday, 25th June 2011 - Swearing of the Watchman's Oath, followed by Walking the Walls of Colchester . Start 10.00am at the Town Hall.Leaving 10.00am at the Town Hall, marching to Balkerne Gate, turning north down Balkerne Hill, and in a clockwise direction, stopping at the east wall for refreshments. Finishing back at the Balkerne Gate. All welcome, in medieval costume or not.
Monday 29th August - Myland Fayre. More info to follow.
Saturday 17th September - Wivenhoe Church Ale - King George V playing field The Colchester Town Watch, the Colchester Waits and the Stilt Walkers
Saturday 8th October - Condom Rally More info to follow.
Friday 30th October - Colchester Oyster Feast. The Watch will be in attendance to welcome the dignitaries and guests. We dress the stairs, and stand guard at the Colchester Town Hall.
Saturday 5th November - Bonfire Night. We arrest Guy Fawkes and make sure that he receives his just punishment in the flames of the fire.
Wednesday 9th November - The Turning-on of the Christmas Lights The Colchester Town Watch will be there to stand guard as Councillor Helen Chuah, Mayor of Colchester, turns the High Street Christmas light on at around 4.30pm.
Sunday 13th November - Remembrance Sunday. As guests of the Royal British Legion, we are honoured to lay a wreath in memory of those men, women and children who died for us and to remember our absent friends.
Friday 18th November - SNELS Annual Dinner at the Colchester Town Hall 7pm - The Town Watch to stand guard outside the Town Hall steps to greet guests.
Wednesday 7th December 2011 - Silver Oyster Pub 2pm till 3pm - A Guard/Display.
TOWN WATCH EVENTS for 2010Saturday 30th January - Curry Night. The Watch attended Cllrs Hogg and Chuah's charity event and performed some musical entertainments for the occasion. In aid of the Mayor's charities and a Malaysian Schools charity.
Monday 15th Feb - The Odd One Out (public house on Mersea Road) 25th Anniversary. The Watch turned out to oversee the celebrations for landlord John Parrick's 25th year - and to check that the beer was up to the usual high standard of the house.
Saturday 13th March - Help For Heroes Cake Sale. Escorting the mayor and mayoress.
Friday 23rd April - St Georges Day. On Sunday 25th April, the Watch assembled at the War Memorial in High Street to lay a wreath at the statue of St George.
Friday 14th May - Mayor's May Dinner. The Watch w Escort. The new Deputy Mayor will be Councillor Helen Chuah and her Escort Mike Hogg. At the formal ceremony the councillors, wearing robes, traditionally process to the Moot Hall to formally vote for the new Mayor and Mayoress (Escort in this case!). After speeches of thanks and acceptance the outgoing mayor (Councillor Henry Spyvee) will hand over the robes and badge to Councillor Lewis and he will hand over the Deputy Mayor's robes and chain to Councillor Chuah. Following the ceremony the councillors will adjourn to the Council Chamber to approve membership of committees for the coming year followed by nomination of chairmen and deputy chairmen as well as other items of business. At the ceremony the newly elected mayor, Councillor Sonia Lewis will declare her 'theme' for the year and name the charities which will benefit from fundraising carried out during the year. In the audience will be invited guests as well as representatives from the University, Garrison and the Police.
Saturday 5th June and Sunday 6th June - Archer of the Fayre. The Watch organise and run this national contest between the best English longbow archers in the land, in conjunction with the Colchester Medieval Oyster Fayre.
Saturday 12th June - Royal Gun Salute. Royal Gun Salutes mark special royal occasions. On these days salutes are fired from locations in London and other authorised stations in the United Kingdom and the Union flag is hoisted on government buildings. In London, salutes are fired in Hyde Park and at The Tower of London however, on state visits, at the State Opening of Parliament and for The Queen's Birthday Parade, The Green Park is used, instead of Hyde Park. The number of rounds fired in a Royal Gun Salute depends on the place and occasion. The basic salute is 21 rounds. In Hyde Park and Green Park an extra 20 rounds are added because they are a Royal Park. The Watch will attend the Colchester event in Castle Park. We thank our High Constable, Councillor Ray Gamble for helping to make this possible.
Saturday 19th June - Walking the Walls of Colchester. Our traditional annual circumnavigation of our walls, accompanied by the Mayor and Mayoress of Colchester, councillors and commoners. All are welcome to join us and to witness the Watch swearing their oath of allegiance to the borough and to its people. Midday at the Town Hall to start.
9,10, & 11th July - Battle of Tewkesbury Weekend. This event remembers the Battle of Tewkesbury in Gloucestershire, during the Wars of the Roses, on 4th May 1471. The battle was fought betwwen the Yorkists of King Edward 4th and the Lancastrians of Prince Edward and his mother, Margaret of Anjou. The Yorkists prevailed. We are honoured to accept the invitation of the Mayor of Tewkesbury to escort him or her, along with our own mayor, to open the Fayre. This is Europe's biggest medieval fayre.
Monday 30th August - Stanway Fayre. 12.30pm to 16.30pm. Escorting the Mayor to open the fayre.
Saturday 25th September - Lexden History Day. Escorting the Mayor.
Friday 29th October - Colchester Oyster Feast. The Watch will be in attendance to welcome the dignitaries and guests. We dress the stairs, and stand guard at the Colchester Town Hall.
Friday 5th November - Bonfire Night. We arrest Guy Fawkes and make sure that he receives his just punishment in the flames of the fire.
Sunday 13th November - Remembrance Sunday. As guests of the Royal British Legion, we are honoured to lay a wreath in memory of those men, women and children who died for us and to rembember our absent friends.
Saturday 20th November The Turning-on of the Christmas Lights The Colchester Town Watch will be there to stand guard as Councillor Sonia Lewis, Mayor of Colchester, turns the High Street Christmas light on at around 4.45pm.
Wednesday 1st December - Ode to Winter. To accompany the Mayor's walk around town in celebration of Winter and Christmas.
TOWN WATCH EVENTS for 2009
- Saturday, 14th February - Wedding at Mersea
- Friday, 20th March - Chain Gang at the Town Hall
- Sunday, 26th April - St George Parade, from St Peter's Church at 10.30am
- Friday, May 1st - Mayor's Ball
- Wednesday, May 20th - Mayor Making.
- We will welcome our new Mayor Henry Spyvee and Mayoress Vivien Spyvee
- Saturday & Sunday, 6th and 7th of June
- Colchester Oyster Fayre, The Town Watch are running the Archer of the Fayre competition
- Saturday, 13th of June
- - The Royal Gun Salute (The Queens Official Birthday)
- Sunday, 21st June -
- Swearing of the Watchman's Oath, followed by
- Walking the Walls of Colchester - all invited to join in with a circumnavigation of the 3000 metre long, 2000 year old Roman walls, starting at Castle Methodist Church, Maidenburgh Street at 1300 hours. Stout shoes and bottles of water recommended.
- Friday/Saturday/Sunday 10th, 11th, 12th of July
- The Battle of Tewkesbury Weekend - We escort Councillor Gamble , ex-Mayor of Colchester and the Tewkesbury Mayor to open the Tewkesbury Medieval Fair/Market
- Friday, 17th July - Freedom of the Borough award to H M Forces and Walk Past, at the Town Hall, time TBA
- Saturday, 18th of July
- The Colchester Military Festival, held at the Abbey Fields - Standing Guard and escorting of VIPs.
- 31st August - Myland Fete. Opened by Colchester United's acting manager, Joe Dunne. The Watch demonstrated pike evolutions.
- Saturday, 21st September - Altzeimers Society Charity Walk starting at Holly Trees in the Castle Park at 11.00am
- Saturday, 24th October - Wedding at the Town Hall.
- Friday, 30th of October
- - Colchester Oyster Feast - Standing Guard and Welcoming of Guests
- Thursday, 5th of November
- - Bonfire Night, The Town Watch will arrest Guy Fawkes
- Sunday, 8th of November
- - Remembrance Day by invitation of the British Legion
TOWN WATCH EVENTS FOR 2008
- Thursday, March 27th
- - Open the Hole in the Wall Beer Festival.
- Thursday, April 17th
- - Captain to open the Food & Wine of the World, in Conjuction with Hutton Construction, and standing guard in the Charles grey Room at the Castle.
- Friday, May 9th
- - Mayor's Ball. Standing guard at the Town Hall, then the Watch are the Mayor's special guests.
- Wednesday, May 14th
- - Mayor Making, we welcome our new Mayor Cllr Peter Crowe.
- Friday, May 16th
- - Standing Guard and Escorting London Masons to Masonic Event held at St Giles, church Colchester.
- Sat/Sunday, June 7th/8th
- - Colchester Oyster Fayre, Town Watch, running the Archery Competition, and doing a display of swords and pike evolutions.
- Saturday, June 21st
- - Medieval Day and Church Fate, at St Leonards Church, Lexden, Escorting the Mayor to open the event.
- Sunday, June 22nd
- - Wall Walk and Swearing our Oath. This is where we celebrate the Colchester walls and during this we swear our Oath to the Mayor and Mayoress and Colchester. Previous mayors and supporters of the Watch attend, and general public welcome.
- Fri/Sat/Sun, 11th, 12th, 13th of July
- The Battle of Tewkesbury
- Escorting our Mayor and the Tewkesbury Mayor, to open the Tewkesbury Medieval Fayre. (25th Anniversary)
- Bank Holiday Monday, 25th of August
- The Town Watch, yearly beer tasting, a traditional historical event, back in Elizabethan time the Town Watch's duty was with going around the alehouses and having to sample ales, to check the landlord was not watering down his ale, and, as one landlord in Elizabethan times was found guilty of this, his one earlobe was pinned to a door knocker for 24hrs, telling people to stay away, as he was guilty of watering down his ale. But today the we go around tasting the ale, and give all the landlords a certificate to say it has been approved of, and to raise money for charity. This year's chosen charity is 'Help For Heroes', for which we raised £979.26p.
- Saturday, August 30th
- - Guard of Honour and Arch of Swords, etc, for the Wedding of Terry and Gill Belbin, who got married at the the Town Hall. If you want that little bit extra on your wedding day, please get in touch.
- Saturday, September 27th
- - Wedding at the Town Hall for Cllr Craig Sutton and his wife Keeley.
- Friday, October 31st
- - Colchester Oyster Feast at the Town Hall, we dress the Stairs, and stand guard, etc.
- Wednesday, November 5th
- - Bonfire Night, Booked through King Coel's Kittens, to arrest Guy Fawkes.
- Sunday, November 9th
- - Remembrance Day, matching and taking part in the parade along with the Royal British Legion.
TOWN WATCH EVENTS FOR 2007
- March 2nd Friday
- -- Layer Marney Towers, charity event for the Anthony Nolan Trust. The Captain to talk about the history of Colchester and the Town Watch.
- March 14th Wednesday
- - Red Nose Day, our Promotion Sergeant, Tony Simons is having his body waxed for the above charity, our jailer of the watch will handcuff him and, along with the watch, escort him down to the Castle pub, where his punishment will take place, he was found guilty for watering down his ale to the locals.
- April 15th, Sunday
- - Wedding at Colchester Town Hall. For Rebecca Bailey and Matt Winwood, where you find us escorting the guests, and making an Arch of Swords. (You can find out more information about booking us for your special day in a flyer which is siturated in the Town Hall and tourist information office or via the information of this web site.)
- May 11th, Friday,
- Mayors Ball. This is the last event of the year for Richard and Jackie Gower, we will standing guard outside the town hall and then line the stairs to the moot hall.
- March 16th, Wednesday
- Mayor Making. This is where the new mayor is elected as mayor, and the watch and the town welcome him. The Mayor and Mayor's this year is Ray and Jenny Gamble.
- June 9th & 10th, Sat/Sun.
- Colchester Medieval Oyster Fayre. And the town watch walk the Roman walls. On the Saturday 9th @ 11.30am The Colchester Mayor to open the fayre, with us as a escort. also on the Saturday, @ 2.00pm we will Swear our oath and loyalty to the Mayor and Colchester outside our promotion tent, where our chaplain of the watch will hold a small service, you can find us situated next to the archery. High Constables of the watch, Sponsors, Patrons, and friends old and new are welcome.
- June 16th, Saturday
- Military Day, at the Abbey Fields. Escorting the VIP guests, doing a drill outside our promotion tent.
- July 6th, 7th, 8th, Fri, Sat, Sun.
- Battle of Tewkesbury in Gloucestershire. Mayor meet Mayor, Town Crier meet Town Crier, the Watch escorts the mayors up to the battle site where they place a glove on top of a pole and declare the medieval fayre open.
- October 26th, Friday
- Oyster Fayre.
- November 5th, Monday
- Bonfire Night. Booked from King Coal Kittens escorting Guy Fawkes, along with the Beefeaters.
- November 11th,
- Remembrance Service. Marching in the parade, and laying of wreath
- December 8th,
- Town Watch Christmas Yule Tide Feast.
- In Ingatestone Hall, Standing Guard and an invite from Lord Petre to have a picnic with music and dance from Dance Royale.
- Invited by the Major Casey, to take part in Queen`s Royal Gun Salute for Colchester
- Escorting the Mayor and Mayoress, to turn on the Christmas lights
- Celebrating William Gilbert
- Remembering Lord Nelson
- Youth Awards at the Town Hall
- A 1st for the Watch in 2007, Marching in the parade for Remembrance Day and laying of wreath, approved of by the Royal British Legion
- For any sponsor of the Watch, we will turn out for one event of your choice in the year, if we are not previously booked.
- Arch of Swords, at several weddings
- Involved with the Anthony Nolan Trust, at Layer Marney Towers
- Watch Member had part of his body waxed for Red Nose Day
Christmas Cracker, along with Neighbour Hood Watch, and Essex Police, in 2006 we were presented a plaque, for the work we do for Colchester Town and Community.
and ye 58th year of the reign of our sovereign ladye, Queen Elizabeth II
Updated ye 11th January 2013
Home | Gallery | Events | History | Our Mayors | Sponsors | Members | Hire Us | Join Us | Contact Us